From Hollywood to International tours to Dallas to NYC
and back to Hollywood!
ANNOUNCING THE OPENING OF
CHERILYN BACON VOICE STUDIO IN WOODLAND HILLS, CALIFORNIA
Welcome to the Cherilyn Bacon Voice Studio. Ms. Bacon is a born-and-raised Hollywood girl and accomplished actress-singer merges her Backstage best-rated NYC musical theatre program with her private voice studio in Los Angeles as well as online. She is rated among the top 20 Best Singing Teachers in Los Angeles.
She brings 40+ years teaching and performance experience with students having sung on Broadway. The studio features vocal technique for singers whether amateur or pro.
Ms. Bacon is collaborating with Jeff Urband, Los Angeles celebrity pianist to launch her Beyond Singing Technique masterclass-showcase beginning January 2021.
Whether your goals are commercial, recording, theatrical, college or audition prep for any venue, including TV competition shows and pageants, her unique approach will take you beyond technique. She integrates voice-acting-song interpretation and audition techniques across the spectrum of singing from Pop – Rock – Broadway – Classical styles.
Cherilyn is a protege of several of America’s world class voice teachers from Los Angeles to New York City who have mentored her along her life’s journey.
Before selecting a lesson plan, read more about Cherilyn Bacon here.
I specialize in taking you from good to great, prepping for college entrance to auditions for The Voice, AGT, American Idol, Broadway, music videos, studio work, developing your Cabaret Act, concert or YouTube releases.
Whether on a Pro or Discovery track, choose from the following lesson plans that best fit your budget and goals.
Discounts are applied for 13-week sessions, with payment options: in full , 2x or 3x in addition to regular rates a la carte. Contact me to discuss your individual needs, and we will find a plan that works for you!
SingersOnStageLA@gmail.com or text 818-220-6337
Online – Onsite – Hybrid Options from Woodland Hills Studio
Online Options: FaceTime – Facebook Video Chat – Zoom – Google Meets
Have an AWESOMELY UNBELIEVABLE Spring! Choose from two packages ... or A la Carte .
13 weeks -November 16-February 20, 2021
60 Minute Weekly Private Lessons - Coaching -
This package cuts the weekly lesson fee almost in half! It gives you 13 weekly 1 hour private lessons ($65/hr = $845), three discounted 3 1/2 hour monthly masterclasses with one-on-one coaching ($40/hr = $420), and a Cabaret Showcase ($40/hr for 2 hrs = $80), with no extra charge for pianist fees for all three masterclasses and the showcase.
CUSTOMIZED FOR THREE TYPES OF SINGERS
1. You've got a strong passion for singing and want to reach your highest potential!
3. You're already a PRO, in the business with specific career goals or want to keep your skills fresh and alive for your next gig or audition!
Masterclasses are required and included in the pricing.
TRY THE DISCOVERY TRACK PACKAGE ----->
Payment in Full option: $1,345 (due the week of February 22)
Two payment option: $710 - 2x (due the weeks of February 22 and March 29, 2021)
Three payment option, $495 - 3x (due the weeks of February 22, 2021, March 22, 2021, April 29, 2021)
Missed lessons must be made up within the month
Vocal Technique - across the spectrum of vocal styles
Song Interp - Acting for Singers
AGT-The Voice-American Idol-Broadway Audition Prep-Coaching Actors/Singers
Marketing-Self Tape Coaching - Actors/Singers
3 - 3-hour Masterclasses included
Cabaret Act Consulting-Coaching
Cabaret Show at Miceli's Pizza-Pasta-Grill included
DISCOVERY TRACK PACKAGE 45 Minute Weekly Private Lessons13 weeks - November 16, 2020-February 20, 2021
This package discounts the weekly 45 minute lesson fee from $90 to $75! It gives you 13 weekly lessons ($975) and two 1 hour masterclasses ($100) with one-on one coaching and performance experience, with no extra charge for pianist fees.
CUSTOMIZED FOR THESE TWO TYPES OF SINGERS
1. You love to sing (or you're a parent of a child who loves to sing) but you're not sure about going PRO. You're in the exploration stage, eager to discover who you want to be and where your abilities and passions can meet!
2. You're a singer that does not have a professional career as the immediate goal at this time, but you want to learn to sing with excellent technique for enjoyment, leaving the PRO option open.
Masterclasses are required for performance experience.
Payment in Full option: $1,075 (due the week of February 22, 2021
Two payment option: $537 - 2x (due the weeks of February 22 and March 29, 2021)
Three payment option, $395 - 3x (due the weeks of February 22, 2021, March 22, 2021, April 29, 2021)
Missed lessons must be made up within the month.
Vocal Technique - across the spectrum of vocal styles
Song Interp - Acting for Singers
Optional Three 3-Hour Masterclasses (additional fee)
Group Lesson - minimum 4 students1 hour - especially for kids just learning how to sing or siblings in a family
Quick Review - Song Interpretation
New Material Selection
Private Lesson - Coaching3o minutes
Song Review or New Song Selection
Private Lesson45 minutes
Song Review or New Song Selection
Song Review & Interpretation Coaching
New Song Selection
MasterclassRequired for Private Students - Minimum 5 students
What You Get with these AMAZING Packages...and Beyond!
Answers to the most frequently asked questions…or the questions you should be asking!
Why am I seeing such a wide range of pricing among voice teachers?
In three words: Experience. Reputation. Marketing.
During my years in New York City, I met with many voice teachers, some of renown reputations and rates that matched it. I chose a voice teacher that knew technique and had many years’ experience, and was on the conservatory faculty at Circle in the Square, yet was reasonably priced.
I asked him the same question. He gave me a revealing response: “There are at least 50 great voice teachers in NYC. A competent teacher may have been charging modest rates for years, but when a celebrity walks through the door, suddenly that teacher is the ‘BEST’ in town, especially when they ask the celebrity to give them an endorsement, and they start charging top of the line rates.” Today that’s $450/hour or higher.
I’d like to share an additional observation: A teacher can be teaching time-honored techniques for years when a new teacher comes along and repackages it and markets the heck of it as their “own,” and they make a fortune at it.
I receive a lot of phone calls. Sometimes the caller starts with the question “How much do you charge? I respond: What’s your goal? Do you want a cheap rate from an inexperienced teacher or whatever it costs to hire an experienced teacher? The results will reflect this choice. So let me start with my philosophy:
- We all need to make enough to pay the bills.
- You pay for what you get. A good teacher will need to offset the time spent outside of the lesson to customize and research for repertoire building and find performance opportunities and network and market for the students. A teacher that charges a low rate will not have the time to do all of this. Time is money.
- Experience. I’ve been around a long time. Experience is an understatement at my age.
- Reputation. As for reputation, I’ve always received the highest ratings from my students at the college and secondary school level, as well as from my private students and the students at Circle in the Square Theatre School where I developed what is now the musical theatre summer program.
- But most of all I love what I do. I am a working actress/singer who also loves working with children and teenagers, as well as adults. It gives me a great sense of reward to give back and to teach them what I’ve learned and to watch them experience breakthroughs along their unique journeys.
- I teach with passion and energy. I’m here to help you become the best singer you can be, to discover who you are and where you may want to take your well-earned talent. If you can’t afford voice lessons and I see you have extraordinary skills and you have a strong desire to succeed and will work your guts out to achieve it, I will work with you and we will find a budget that fits.
- And so…although I’ve got the experience and reputation to charge higher rates, I’ve decided to make my expertise more accessible because the rich and famous do not hold a monopoly on talent and skill. Talent is usually earned, not inborn, and it comes in all colors, ethnicities, genders, sizes, ages and socioeconomic backgrounds. I’d hate to be turning that away.
- You’re never too old to begin.
What kind of Vocal Technique do you teach?
I teach styles across the spectrum from rock to opera. Foundational technique is common to all styles. Once that is learned, then we can modify the technique according to the unique qualities of the style.
But my question to you is this: What’s your goal? Do you want to be a winner on America’s Got Talent, The Voice or American Idol? Or do you want to do Broadway? Or do you want to sing with a choral group or just for the fun of it?
We will create a plan unique to your needs and goals. In general, we’ll build strong breath control, the foundation of all healthy singing, regardless of vocal style. Improve articulation, solidify tone, expand range, strengthen mix, blend breaks, eliminate bad habits, repair damage.
What’s the difference between Private Voice and Coaching
Private lessons are technique -focused and recommended for any individual whose goal is to perform solo or in ensembles, either amateur or professional.
Coaching provides additional techniques for audition and performance prep, including for solo acts, plus arrangements that enhance your strengths. I use techniques of Broadway’s and contemporary commercial music’s best.
I go beyond technique to explore the character and to review the context of the show. We will have opportunities to select the best songs for the singer and audition song/s for the role.
I have received permission from David Craig’s protege, Sara Louise Lazarus, to teach his unique song style and interpretation techniques for character development and song performance. I work with you to expand repertoire and build a powerful audition book that will show the casting directors the best of who you are.
Do you coach students who need self – tapes? (Pro-Track only)
Absolutely! It’s the industry standard for professional singer-actors. I have many years’ experience as a commercial actor and producer, off and on camera.
I’ve also cast and produced several concerts and shows and have auditioned countless performers for over 40 years.
We will work together to prepare a a professional quality vocal or acting monologue self-tape. For an additional fee, I will accompany you on location to direct you through your video.
Do you provide studio singing and voice-over technique?
Yes! I’m well-qualified to train in studio technique. I began recording in studios many years ago. The animation company Hanna-Barbera offered a voice-over job for the trio I sang with for the 1970’s cartoon series “Josie and the Pussy Cats.”
I have since sung on commercials and recorded music CD’s and narration for videos and concerts in major markets and even impersonated a child’s voice once when in the studio when the child didn’t show up.
Are virtual voice lessons effective and which platform is best – ZOOM – GOOGLE MEET – FACETIME – SKYPE FOR Online Distance Learning Lessons? (All plans)
While they are not as perfect as IN PERSON, FACETIME and ZOOM/Google Meet technologies are excellent, higher quality than Skype, and FREE. Many professional singers take their lessons online while on tour all over the world.
Online private lessons are amazingly effective, especially when out of town or on tour, or too far from my studio. I have been offering state of the art high speed Internet and video technology for best quality audio/video since 2010.
FACETIME offers better audio syncing than ZOOM one-on-one, but ZOOM or GOOGLE MEET offer better audio quality than FACETIME and can handle groups. Both are more stable than SKYPE. I will use the platform of your preference depending on your Internet stability, speed and connection.
What are the advantages of virtual voice lessons?
1. Most auditions are now online and require self-tapes. Using video conference technology is a valuable experience and will help you create a superior final product.
2. Internet video singing lessons are an excellent way to avoid the time and expense of heavy traffic, to accommodate long distance students, and to enjoy training in the privacy of your own home.
3. Professionals on tour use FaceTime to stay in touch with their teachers and coaches.
Why do you offer group lessons? (A la Carte only)
Group lessons are recommended for beginners or for children and their parents in the exploratory phase of choosing interests and developing skills and who will be more comfortable in a group setting.
If you or your child considers voice lessons to be a second choice to sports or other interests, the group lesson is a more economical initial investment. Minimum: 4 students. As of this update, Group Lessons are on HOLD because of COVID-19, but when we can meet in groups again, I will open up groups by geographical region.
What are Master Classes and why are they required? (Pro-Track required, Optional for other plans)
Monthly master classes are different from group lessons. They are mandatory for Pro-Track students because Master Class setting is an invaluable experience as peers observe each other perform and watch me coach them. It removes them from the private voice studio setting. Suddenly what they thought they knew and could perform privately, typically unravels temporarily.
Each student receives one-on-one attention in front of this peer audience and receives essential feedback from me. They are then able to take the suggestions, make the adjustments, and try again. It’s not easy to do this in front of others, but there is nothing as valuable for preparing for the real world of performance than the Master Class! We sometimes learn more from watching others than from even doing it ourselves. But the combination is powerful.
Minimum: 4 students
Do you provide college entrance audition preparation? (Pro-Track only)
Yes! Consultation is available for submissions, selection of appropriate audition material, recording the demo and resume development. For an additional fee, I will attend the recording session to coach you.
Can you help me with a YouTube music video or demo? (Pro-Track only)
Of course! It’s now the industry standard to post videos of your work, and not just “self-tapes,” either for your agent- manager or for your own blog or web site.
I mentioned my studio experience above. My experience directing high-quality video demos, commercials has given me the practical experience to teach on camera techniques for singers.
The fee for a video project is determined on a project basis. Please email SingersOnStageLA@gmail.com to arrange an in-studio or video conference call appointment.
Do you provide direction for recording an album or to create a Cabaret or solo act? (Pro-Track only)
Yes. I will advise you with whatever your career goals as a singer-actor may be.
I’ve performed several solo acts myself, working with some of the industry’s finest directors, especially cabaret in NYC.
My experience will guide you using a powerful success formula for a memorable act that’s uniquely yours.
Coaching and direction is available for the professional or amateur recording or performing artist, for commercial or demo, or for solo or Cabaret act preparation.
The fee is determined on a project basis. Please email SingersOnStageLA@gmail.com to arrange an in-studio or video conference call appointment.
Lesson Requirements (All plans)
In studio lessons:
- Recording device (cell phone, audio or video recorder)
- Three ring binder – copies of original music for mark up
- Plastic sheet protectors – non glare
- Pencil – for marking music and note taking
- Plastic sipping straw
- Small coffee straw stirrer
- Bottle filled with room temp water
Virtual Video Lesson Requirements
(In addition to the in studio requirements)
- High speed Internet connection
- Video camera or webcam – audio and video enabled
- FaceTime app on iPhone or android equivalent
- Download Zoom.us App or Google Meet on cell phone, iPad or computer
- Have two sources of audio (e.g. cell phone and lap top)
- Unless I provide you a song, email to me a digital copy of music you choose in advance of lesson
- Full length mirror, so I can see you full length